Not the Edublog Award Winners

This is a list of sites that should be recognized but which, for one reason or another, were overlooked by the Edublog Awards. Sites that probably should have been nominated, and could even have won, but weren't, and obviously, didn't.

Let me note that this is not a criticism of the Awards or the nomination process. It could have been perfect, and I would still have been able to find worthy sites. This post is intended only to shine some light on some people who really deserve some praise and wider notice. Think of it as my personal 'honourable mention' category.

Best educational use of a virtual world: Media Grid Immersive Education

"
Immersive Education is an award-winning learning platform that combines interactive 3D graphics, commercial game and simulation technology, virtual reality, voice chat (Voice over IP/VoIP), Web cameras (webcams) and rich digital media with collaborative online course environments and classrooms."

What I like about this initiative is that it is not bound to a single platform, that it is actively contributing to specifications and technologies that help virtual worlds together, and that it is actively exploring ways in which immersive technologies can be used to support learning.


Best educational use of a social networking service: OU Course Profiles on Facebook

What makes this different from the typical use of a social networking service is that it is substantiall about using a social network service to support learning, rather than simply using it to connect the same old group of people together. What I mean by this is that it is intended for students and that it inserts a useful educational service into the social network application (in this case Facebook). Here's a slide show and more description of the app.


Best educational wiki: WikiEducator

Numerous educational wikis could have taken the podium here - Curriki, Wikiversity, more. WikiEducator is chosen as the most (apparently) active of these initiatives. "WikiEducator is a dynamic and exciting community of educators who believe passionately that learning materials should be free and open to all." Be sure to check out WikiEducator's definition of libre knowledge.


Best educational use of video / visual: Civilization III and World History

This is a 10 minute video describing how Civilization III, a computer game, is used in history classes at Kimball Union Academy, featuring Lyn Lord. This video, one of the highest rated and most viewed on the popular TeacherTube educational video hosting site, mixes screen captures and commentaries showing how the popular video game can support learning.


Best educational use of audio: iTunes University

This was probably the most publicized of the educational podcast initiatives of 2007 and certainly the most influential. The service launched in 2005 with a series of podcasts from Stanford and spread to a number of other universities. The Best of iTunes University site shows just how pervasive this initiative has become.

Some people (including myself) have criticized the initiative for being commercial and proprietary. Which it is. But it is worth noting that there is (to my knowledge ) no comparable free (libre?) and open audio content available from any other collection of universities. Although educational podcasting will already remain a niche market (it's hard to compete with Radiohead) but remains nonetheless important for thousands of people.


Best elearning / corporate education blog: Off Course-On Target

Wayne Hodgins has been around forever, but blogging is a new medium for him, as most of his work has been done in standards committees and academic papers dev eloping and advocating the concept of learning objects. Whatever your views of this persepective on online learning, his blog posts are consistently the most original and informative coming fromthe corporate perspective (and make no mistake - the corporate perspective these days is overwhelmingly the world of SCORM, learning objects, and metadata standards).


Best educational tech support blog: Computer Science Teacher

Alfred Thompson is rooted in the world of Microsoft products, a fact that irks me every time I read one of his posts. But I do read one of his posts because of the steady and consistent stream of practical advice being handed out on his blog. Though aimed ostensibly at computer science teachers, the blog is a constant source of technial advice for any teacher using computers (um, and Windows).

Thompson is (for me) the representative read from an entirely different blogging community from the one we're used to reading. He works for Microsoft and has a direct connection not only to computer science teachers but also the Microsoft developers' network. This gives him a unique perspective and an informed view.


Best library / librarian blog: ACRLog

This has been one of the most consistent high-quality blogs of any type, and I must admit to having been astonished to see it skipped over in the nominations for the Edublogs. It is probably because the blog owners resist efforts to rank it and reward it - probably the best attitude to take. Certainl a lot more dignified than shameless campaigning.

Writes one of the authors (theirs is a group blog): "I suggest that if we want to acknowlege our community’s bloggers who are doing really good work (high quality writing, regular postings, originality of ideas and topics, innovative suggestions, etc.) let’s all contribute to an annual listing - not numeric rankings - but a collection of ten blogs worthy of our praise." I concur, and that's what I'm doing in this post.


Best teacher blog: The Open Classroom

Though this category saw by far the most nominations, it still managed to overlook consistently strong entries from Clarence Fisher, Chris Sessums and Heather Ross. I was tempted to opt for a Canadian in this category, but opted to highlight Australian nglish teacher Jo McLeay, who has been writing consistently and quietly for several years now. She also practices what she preaches, linking to a number of her classroom blogs. She uses many of the Web 2.0 tools and is plugged in to the Australian edublogging community.


Most influential blog post: Death threats against bloggers are NOT 'protected speech'

Though Kathy Sierra was widely read in the blogging community at large, she was arguably an edublogger - certainly, her work was widely cited in our community and I suspect that had she not stopped blogging shortly after posting this bombshell she would have certainly shown up in the Edublog Awards in severl categories. Sierra combined an intuitive sense of design with a deep knowledge of online communication to create posts that were memorable and wity.

And yet, because of the events described in this post, I refer to her work in the past tense. She abruptly withdraw from the blogging scene after a series of harassing and blatantly sexist attacks. Her experience was hardly unique; since then I have read numerous other accounts of gender-based online abuse, and of course you can find it if you look in almos any YouTube or Digg comment stream. What these tell us about the current state of our society is disturbing. But at least - to judge both from the hit and link counts in Edu_RSS and the 1165 comments on her website, Kathy Sierra's message has certainly hit home.


Best resource sharing blog: Jane's E-Learning Pick of the Day

It was nice to be nominated in this category myself, for OLDaily, but to be honest, I expected to compete against - and lose to - Jane Hart's incredibly useful contribution to the field. Hart has a wealth of experience in the field, having most recently co-founded the consulting firm Waller Hart Learning Architects. In the meantime, her daily resource offers sites, services and tools that are invariably of interest and frequently of direct practica impact.


Best new blog: Helge Scherlund's eLearning news blog

It's hard not to want to give the nod to Sue Waters, but she was nominated, and anyways, Helge Scherlund burst onto the scene with a fresh and informative weblog summarizing resources, websites, and journal articles. She would also have been a wonderful candidate in the best resource-sharing blog category. Scherlund is summarizing - and making accessible - resources that mostly do not grace other edubloggers' pages, making her work well worth reading, especially by those now limiting their reading to a smaller circle of writers treading more familiar territory. She brings an academic edge into what is often a non-academic field, and for that should be recognized.


Best group blog: The Pulse

Hosted by District Administration magazine, the Pulse is one of those blogs that you at one wish would publish more and more and wish would cease and desist. With opinions ranging from insightful to infuriating, with a literate and experienced writing staff, the Pulse distinguishes itself with quality writing, informed opinions, and more controversy than you can shake a stick at. It is a site definitely deserving of wider attention.

I also want to add as an honorable mention in this category the ongoing dialogue between and Deb in Bridging Differences. The debate covers most of the controversial issues in education over the last 15 years, framed by two people who were at the centre of those debates. It is continually interesting to see their views at once shift and at the same time hold fast to basic convictions. Again, what makes this blog work for me is the literate and informed quality of the writing.


Best individual blog: Cool Cat Teacher Blog

This was probably the best nominated of the categories. I would have added Doug Noon, Artichoke, Christopher Sessums, Seb Schmoller and Scott Wilson. But the writer who most deserved a nomination - and didn't get one - was in my opinion Vicki Davis. A teacher from Georgia who writes with a consistently hopeful and uplifting tone, Davis is unquestionably one of the major thought leaders in the American K-12 blogosphere and certainly one of their most articulate representatives. I don't always agree with davis - and to be honest, sometimes roll my eyes - but her popularity both in my Edu_RSS statistics and the wider web at large do not lie.


Postscript

Regarding my Edu_RSS statistics: I don't have anything to release because these stats are very partial and in some ways very misleading. Edu_RSS ran for only about 6 months of 2007 (and isn't running at the moment while I tune up its efficiency). I do hope to have better statistics available for next year.

Comments

  1. Stephen

    Just wanted to say "thank you"!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your list much better. Even more, I like your list because it's your list. In a distributed blogosphere where influence is effectively measured by google rank and ranking affected by links, through your blogroll, etc, awards thingies like these are just stupid, in my not-usually-very-humble-and-non-award-winning opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe if we keep working real hard on the originality and quality of our posts over at ACRLog we might eventually rise up to the quality of the "A Library By Any Other Name" blog.

    Seriously, if the EDUblog Awards ever nominated ACRLog I'd ask them to withdraw it in a second. I wouldn't even want to be associated with these ridiculous awards (which just happen to urge you to put their badge on your site).

    Thanks for the favorable feedback about ACRLog. We appreciate your readership and your comments to our posts. Having one honest reader appreciate what we do is a thousand times more meaningful than any of these phony rankings and awards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post Stephen, very worthwhile and have linked to it from thr site.

    However Steven (with a v)...

    "Seriously, if the EDUblog Awards ever nominated ACRLog I'd ask them to withdraw it in a second. I wouldn't even want to be associated with these ridiculous awards (which just happen to urge you to put their badge on your site)."

    Ahem, I have to admit, the way that we deviously use the awards as a platform to sell stuff is just out of order.

    All that advertising, and that voting, and the corruption and phonyness.

    Sheesh, you wouldn't be a touch bitter would you?

    It doesn't come through at all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please, folks, the intent here is to recognize some quality sites, not to get into a dispute about the results or the process. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a shiny metal statue? A "Downsy"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. > Is there a shiny metal statue? A "Downsy"?

    No, but as a reward I promise not to to write any snarky comments about any site listed here for the rest of the year.

    No, wait, I can't promise that...

    I'll see if I have some shiny paperclips or something.... (*rummages through drawer*) there must be something here...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the kind words. Sorry I make you roll your eyes, however, I guess my kids do that too sometimes!

    Keep on blogging. While any awards have flaws, I was very happy to be just nominated both last year and this year in the best teacher blog category. It is just nice to be remembered. Voting in today's internet will always have its flaws. However, I wish all of the winners well.

    In fact, if anyone blogs and continues blogging, I call that a winner in my book. Keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the OU Facebook apps nomination Stephen. I think prominent bloggers doing their alternative lists is a great idea, but as you say, this is not in any way an indicment of the Eddies. That's the nature of awards. I'd definitely agree with you on the Kathy Sierra post, Jane's e-learning picks and any Chris Sessums mention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephen, just a couple of comments:

    1. Thanks for this list, which is very useful and welcome.

    2. I agree with you in particular about Jane's and Vicki's (am not familiar with the others).

    3. We need people like Vicki to make our eyes roll!

    Best wishes
    Terry Freedman

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for noticing WikiEducator! We're very active, and I'm looking forward to see all we can accomplish next year and in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the nod. I really appreciate it. I really do try to add value - stuck in Windows or not. :-)

    I completely agree about Vicki Davis as well. She's one of my first reads of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the nod for my video, Stephen. Lyn's use of Civ III has been very successful. I was a sceptic about using the game at first so the video is in the nature of an apologia to her as well as an attempt to show other educators how it could be used.
    Do we get, like, a chocolate bar?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stephen,

    Frankly getting a thumbs up from you means a lot. I suspect that one of the reasons that I haven't been nominated for the Best Teacher Blog award is that I'm not actually a teacher. I'm an instructional designer who occasionally gets to do a little teachers.

    Heather Ross

    ReplyDelete
  15. > I'm not actually a teacher.

    Um, that's kind of funny. I would have sworn...

    Oh well. Good thing these aren't awards or a top 10 or anything official, hm?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks very much for your very kind words Stephen. I’m actually off work and mostly unplugged now through the end of January taking some much needed time off, but I’ve already received several calls and notes from others, alerting me to this “Not the Edublog Award Winners” posting and wanted to send along this short (for me) thank you note.

    While I don't find much value in awards as they tend to fuel group think or worse when they are insidious forms of self promotion, there is also no question that recognition and praise, when genuine and coming from those we respect, are very powerful human forces. As you often do, you have been able to provide some leadership by example and redirect these forces Aikido fashion by making it personal and positive. Just as I find little value in mass “best seller lists” for things like books (what is the possible correlation to what any individual would like to read?) there is great value in seeing individual reading lists and hence great value in a personal award list such as yours. I hope this encourages many others to post their own such lists.

    I suspect we hold each other in very mutual and high regard as we value each other’s very unique and personal perspectives. I’m not sure I represent “the corporate perspective” any more than you represent the “government perspective” and rather that we both are fortunate to have very supportive “hosts” who enable us to do many of the things we love such as speaking, writing and otherwise contributing in our own small way (we hope) to the improvement of human learning and performance. In any case, I regard you and your posts as most genuine and original I’m honored and humbled by your recognition and praise of my posts on Off Course – On Target.

    Thank you for all your many efforts this year Stephen. I look forward to rejoining you in all the others in these causes when I return at the end of January and wish you the very best for an even more productive and positive 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stephen-

    I read this post quickly this morning but came back to it as I've followed the comments.

    Actually, your kind words to me here is such a great reward! And your encouragement throughout my blogging journey these two short years.

    I love OL Daily and keep up with it (when I let other things slide). I like your point of view and appreciate that when you disagree with someone, you're able to be a professional about it and still see the person behind the blog.

    I remember when I first started blogging, you took a bit of a hiatus and I wondered... why would anyone with that many readers consider taking a hiatus. What a great thing.

    And now, I often wonder myself about taking a hiatus. I find that in order to write, I have to remember my audience of ONE -- like I'm writing to each individual out there because if I look at the number of readers it is enough to paralyze me into becoming extinct in the blogosphere.

    I feel that I'm "just a teacher" and am so glad that teachers can have a voice now. So often misunderstood and under appreciated, but so often a victim of their own whining... teaching is tough.

    And what you've said here about Cool Cat Teacher, (even including the eye rolling part) means a lot. Think I'll have to go home and scrub some toilets to keep humble. (actually my students and kids will handle that just fine)

    Thank you for being an encourager. This is truly a great honor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Stephen for wanting to give my blog a nod because as you said it was nominated - it was nice to be mentioned in your post. But I notice that you have linked to my podcast site, which I have been neglecting lately, so I better get back to podcasting.

    Sue Waters
    Mobile Technology in TAFE

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great! I do discover some remarkable sites here.Thank you a lot. I know you are really well familiar the current situation in this scope.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting list Stephen (as is Edublog list). I am curious to know why you didn't nominate these at Edublog - or did you?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think this is a great list, and also full of juicy meme potential. There are many peoples top ten list's I'd really value looking through, and it would be great to post a bunch to the awards site too - since the point of the awards to share excellent content, resources and thinking with as many people as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stephen,

    Thank you for the nod, that was quite kind of you.

    I don't know how this will sound but (I have a hard time not being candid)... when I began to write seriously for the Web I would re-read my posts and say to myself, "Would Downes pick this up?"

    And thank you for OLDaily and continuously enlightening me.

    Keep setting the bar as high,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much Stephen for your kinds words. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stephen, Thanks for giving me more to put into my RSS. I do love Jo and glad she is getting this award. Cheryl Oakes

    ReplyDelete
  25. "WikiEducator is chosen as the most (apparently) active of these initiatives."

    This is not true. Please compare the numbers of trafic, content, and users between WikiEducator and Wikiversity (in 5 languages).

    ReplyDelete
  26. A really useful set of links, quite a few which are new to me.
    I very much agree with ARClog's comments about the use, or otherwise of awards. While I do like the "Eddies", and they do seem to be a little more international than other lists of useful blogs, as with anything that requires voting, rather than panels or whatever, there is an element of getting your friends to vote for you, rather than encouraging friends to have a look, and to vote as they see fit...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well, this is rewarding the unrewarded Stephen good work. Being a facebook friend you also deserve a rose from me for that heh.

    ReplyDelete
  28. like teemu said, u got the stats way wrong on WikiEducator; Wikiversity is > ~3 times as active.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments will be moderated. Sorry, but it's not a nice world out there.

Popular Posts